Search This Blog

Sunday, June 01, 2008

Captain Beckham to lead England

David Beckham has been named England captain for Sunday's friendly against Trinidad and Tobago.

Beckham has been rewarded with the armband by manager Fabio Capello following his recent return to form and fitness.

The LA Galaxy midfielder set up John Terry's goal in Wednesday's 2-0 win over the United States on Wednesday - his 101st England appearance - and becomes Capello's fourth captain in as many matches after Steven Gerrard, Rio Ferdinand and John Terry.

"People will always question whether I can still play at this level but I want to carry on. I am not ready to stop playing for my country," said Beckham.

"I have a few more wrinkles now but I still feel I can do what I did 10 years ago. I was happy with my performance against France in March, my first game under Fabio Capello, and it was the same against the United States the other night. I was happy to set up the opening goal."

No comments: